Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Player Profile: Benoit Ducharme


Name: Benoit Ducharme

Born: September 14th 1975, Lanoraie

5”10 weight 177

Center



Born in a small working class town, his father, Bruce “Rummy” Ducharme, worked on the family farm. Working long hours he hoped his son would never have to go through the steps he did. Ben often recalls his dad’s words “The land, she gives us nothing”. He [Bruce Ducharme] use to bring his son to the pond every night and teach him the rudiment of hockey. Often getting laugh at because he had to use his sister’s skates and play with frozen dog turds, he quickly had the other kids running away. [Ben] “I use to wrist shot the turds at them, that’s how I develop my accuracy”. Today, it’s pay back time for his detractors “who’s laughing now, I made center for the Shocker’s! They can kiss my ass”.

His mother, Rita Ducharme, was always protective of him, well know in the town for her cooking, she was known as the Pie Lady. “My mom is a huge inspiration for me, she showed me that hard works pays off and that whatever people say about you, it doesn’t really mater in the end.” His mom went through a rough time, people didn’t accept her at the beginning [Rita] “ It wasn’t easy to win their hearts, especially being a cartoon character I really felt different”.

You can enjoy watching Ben’s velvet hands next Monday @ 6:30, when the Shocker’s meet Outcast for the first time this season.


Until then, keep your eyes on the ball and your stick on the floor kids…



No comments:

Post a Comment